Share |

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Present Box For Malia



My cutest neice Malia is turning 5 this month. So this weekend and then tonight I was working on part of her birthday present. While shopping down at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi a few weeks ago with my mom and sister-in-law, Lindsi, we came across some of the cutest things. But one thing I particularly remembered was this adorable present box that was covered in tissue paper. I knew that I wanted to make one for Malia's birthday. My box really looks nothing like the one I found at Thanksgiving Point, but I loved the idea so much, I came up with my own version. Also check out Amber Lafata's blog and see the adorable ones she made for her mother for Mother's Day.

Malia has a purple and pink bedroom. I knew I wanted to make the box match her bedroom so she could use it to keep things in even after her birthday. When I was going through my paper stash, I came across this paper from Crate Paper. I just love this brand! I don't use it a whole lot but I need to start to more often. The colors in this line are perfect for Malia's room.

Here are some more close up pictures:








As I have said several times, I am addicted to making paper flowers. And now I am addicted to tissue paper flowers too! This flower is super easy to make. I used 6 layers of tissue paper cute as a square. Fan-fold the tissue paper. Fold it in the middle and then tie a string around it. Gently pull the layers up, careful not to rip them. As you do this the flower will start to form. And there you have it! Easy easy easy flowers!

I also made 3 other types of paper flowers. What can I say, I am an addict! If there was a paper flower support group, I would certainly join : D. So I also made a twisted flower, a rosette, a layered diecut flower and layered paper rose. The last 2 were cut from the same Stampin' Up! die for Sizzix. The die is Blossom Party. If you are interested in ordering it, you can contact Cindy Peterson. She is an awesome Stampin' Up! demonstrator! You will love her : D

Here are the supplies I used for the box:
  • Paper Mache Box - Robert's Crafts
  • Patterned Paper - Bliss Collection from Crate Paper
  • Thickers - American Crafts
  • Gems - clear gem flowers from Imaginisce; Purple gem brad from Stampin' Up!
  • Punch - I don't know the actual name of it, but it is this pretty curvy Paper Shapers label punch from EK Success. I looked for it on their site, but couldnt' find it.
  • Die - Blossom Party and Large Scallop Circle from Stampin' Up!
  • Stamps - Well Scripted and Tiny Tags from Stampin' Up!
  • Classic Inks - Soft Suede, Perfect Plum and Pale Plum - Stampin' Up!
  • Glues and adhesive - Mod Podge, Pop Dots, Crystal Effects {used to hold the paper rose and twisted flowers together}
  • My Stash - brown and white twine, large grosgrain brown ribbon, pink tissue paper
A thing to remember about Mod Podge - As I said on a prior post - is that it can be a little tricky to work with. It doesn't dry quickly. As much as it may not be something I want to do, when I am working with it, I try to let the project dry overnight before working on embellishing it further. Most of the time, the bubbles go away and the paper dries smoothly to the surface you are working on. It doesn't always happen, but usually you should be OK. I was a little worried with this box, but once it was completely dry, the bubbles were gone.

I can't wait to get Malia a Fancy Nancy book to go in the box along with a crazy gaudy princess birthday crown for her to wear at her birthday party! It will be a lot of fun. She is a sassy little thing and she loves her birthdays! And I love her!

OK, so my next post isn't my tutorial. Sorry guys. I was attempting to take pictures for it again that were not blurry, but the pictures just haven't turned out yet. So it's happening, but just not quite yet. So I admit I may get a few more projects posted before I get the paper rose tutorial up and running. I will probably enlist the help of my husband with taking the pictures.

1 comments:

Amber said...

so very cute! I love the paper it reminds me of the liberty of london stuff from Target. And I even love it more that you and I are the only one's who leave comments on each others blog!! LOL!!